Southend Standard Column

Last Thursday was polling day for the local elections. I have been asked on numerous occasions what I do on election day so I thought I would dedicate this column to my activity last Thursday.

I started the day with telling from 7am – 9am at a polling station in Thorpe Ward I arrived just before 7am and met with the staff manning the station.

It was much colder than I was expecting and I was thankful when the next teller arrived at 9am! I headed over to the Thorpe Campaign Centre, which was held at Ciao. From Ciao I visited numerous polling stations across Southend.

At 11 o’clock I headed back over to Ciao to meet up with candidates and activists who had been at various other wards across the constituency to see how the campaigns were going.

After our meeting I headed over to Great Wakering to see how the campaign and turnout was over in the Rochford District side of my constituency.

I then made my way to Rochford and had lunch at the Horse and Groom. The Rochford committee very cunningly had their committee room in the function suite at the pub so I felt it only right that I should have a pub lunch! It was only later when I was delivering leaflets in Southchurch that I realised I left the pub without paying and so I had to send someone with my money to pay on their way home!

After visiting Rochford I headed back over to Southend and, as mentioned above, I delivered leaflets to residents in Southchurch, reminding residents that that today was polling day and there was still time to vote.

As it is now early evening, I make my way over to Thorpe Bay station to greet commuters as they get off the train, again to remind them that polling stations are open until 10pm.

At 8 I went to Shoebury to knock on doors then went to Shoebury Con Club to convince people to vote after watching the West Ham game!
Just after the close of the polling stations I headed over to Rayleigh for the Rochford District Count. As I have councillors across two authorities, and the votes are counted in two locations, I have to split my time across the two sites.

Slightly before mid night I headed over to Garons for the Southend Borough Council count.

I eventually got home just after 2am!