Sadly, coronavirus is currently spreading rapidly in our area, and the number of COVID patients being hospitalised has risen sharply. As Southend, Rochford, along with most of Essex, remains in Tier 4, you cannot meet other people indoors, including over the Christmas and New Year period, unless you live with them, or they are part of your support bubble.
- Find out what support you can get if you’re affected by coronavirus: www.gov.uk/find-coronavirus-support
- Find coronavirus financial support for your business: https://www.gov.uk/business-coronavirus-support-finder
What can and can't I do over the Christmas period?
To slow the spread of the virus, you cannot leave or be outside of the place you are living unless you have a reasonable excuse. As explained above, you cannot meet other people indoors. Outdoors, you can only meet one person from another household. Unfortunately, these rules will not be relaxed for Christmas for Tier 4, and you cannot form a Christmas bubble in Tier 4.
It is really important we all continue to stick to the rules over the festive period to protect the most vulnerable in our community, no matter how difficult it may seem.
Should you require any further information regarding the rules in Tier 4: Stay At Home and over Christmas, then click here.
Where can I get a test?
A number of local testing facilities have been set up:
- Hamlet Court Road car park, Westcliff-on-Sea. Walk-through mobile testing unit site open from 8am to 4pm seven days a week.
- Southend Airport, Long Stay Car Park 3, Southend-on-Sea, SS2 6YE. Mobile testing unit open seven days per week. Book through the national system.
- Short Street local testing site. Open seven days a week from 8am to 8pm. Available for both walk-through and appointments booked through the national system.
Tests are also available at other nearby locations. If you have symptoms, you should get a test as soon as possible. To book and for further information, click here.
If you’re getting a test because you have symptoms, you and anyone you live with must self-isolate until you get your results.
Call 999 if you feel very unwell or think there’s something seriously wrong.
Useful contact details:
- Southend Borough Council
Call: 01702 215000
- Rochford District Council:
Call: 01702 546366
- Essex County Council:
- NHS Volunteers:
Call: 0808 196 3646
- Southend Coronavirus Helpline:
Call: 01702 212497
Sainsbury's: 08009 534988
Tesco: 08009 177359
Metrow Foods: 01702 527441
Waitrose: 01702 603403 or 0800 188884
Morrison’s foodboxes: 0345 6116111, option 5
- The Essex Wellbeing Service:
Call: 0300 303 9988
- If you have a mental health concern, please contact NHS Mental Health Service for 18+ by dialling 111, selecting the option for mental health crisis. Alternatively, contact the Samaritans on 116 123 or via www.samaritans.org